During the LACCEI Annual Conference (July), the Student full paper research competition and the Student poster research competition are held. The objectives of the student competitions are:
- Motivate engineering students to use and demonstrate their creativity, knowledge and skills to solve problems.
- Promote academic exchange between students from different universities and countries.
- Provide an opportunity for research professors to recruit potential graduate students.
The work could be based on a final project for a course or a thesis. The work and paper must be original and cannot be results of faculty research. A full paper or short paper must be submitted and accepted to compete. There is a limit of 3 papers per author and 7 authors per paper and Students are required to show their Student ID when registering at the conference. Presentations must be done by students and at least one student author must be registered (either student or full registration) by the author registration deadline for the submission to be published.
- Student research full paper competition
A student or team of students submits a full article (10 pages maximum) after it is verified by at least one professor at their university, designated as Mentor (s). All authors must be students and the teacher is listed as a mentor, not an author. The top 10 articles are classified as finalists in the competition and they should give a 5 minutes presentation and answer questions from judges and participants to determine the winners. All papers in this category also compete in Student Research Poster Competition.
- Competition of poster student
A student or a team of students submits a short article (2 to 5 pages maximum) after it is verified by at least one professor at their university, designated as Mentor (s). All authors must be students and the teacher is listed as a mentor, not an author. All works in this category must be presented to a series of judges for 3 minutes using a poster and they should answer questions from judges and participants to determine the winners.
All the full articles of this contest will be reviewed by 3 members of the technical committee of the student competition stipulated by LACCEI. Short articles are reviewed by 1 member of the technical committee.
The medals and monetary prizes are presented during the Gala Dinner of the annual LACCEI Conference. All participants and mentors receive a certificate of participation, and their paper is published in the Conference Proceedings under ISBN and ISSN numbers and archived online for future citations.
The top 10 finalist papers in the Student Research Full Papers Competition will have DOI and will be indexed by SCOPUS.
First place in the Student Research Full Papers Competition will receive the LACCEI Award medal and a full entry for an international conference or a monetary award.
Instructions for the poster competition
- We recommend a minimum font size of 24 pts. Bold section names. The poster should be clearly readable from a distance of 2 meters (24″ wide x 36″ high – 60.96cm wide x 91.44cm high).
- Language: Spanish or English
- We encourage the use of pictures, graphics, and any other illustrative material.
- Students who submitted a full paper and were selected as finalists will present in a special session within the conference just prior to the poster competition. The finalists will make a Power Point presentation: 10 minutes maximum.
- All participants at the poster competition will present in front of their poster an elevator speech (3 minutes maximum) giving an overview of the problem and results at the poster competition. They will be asked questions by the judges and the audience and can give a demonstration or show a video if appropriate.
- You may want to include the followings: title, authors, affiliations, faculty mentor, abstract, introduction, methods, results, conclusions, and future work.
- The following links are examples of how to make a poster:
- Follow this example format: TEMPLATE FILE
- Click HERE for instructions on how to submit.
- Click HERE to go to the submission website EasyChair. Use the track: International Student Research Paper Competitions (Full and Short Papers)
Important Dates (deadlines): April 1st
NOTE: The top 10 Student Full Papers will be published with an ISBN, ISSN and DOI and will be indexed in recognition of their effort.